Extending your home

Extending your house can be a very cost effective move to provide more space and upgrade living accommodation when compared to the expense of moving home and buying a more expensive property.

There are Permitted Development allowances which in theory allow you to just go ahead and build on the side or rear of your house without Planning Permission. It would be a very brave person to commit thousands of pounds to a project without some sort of written permission.

There are a large amount of constraints in these rules  EXTENSION GUIDE and often it may be just as well to apply for planning permission as the drawings needed for both are the same.

I would strongly advise the obtaining a Certificate of Lawful Development, this will at least give you the peace of mind when committing to builders moving in.

You will also require Building Control Permission, this is normally done through passing of plans and details which I can undertake.

Loft Conversions can be undertaken within ‘permitted development’ and a flat roof dormer window which greatly enlarges the roof space is allowed.

The cost for drawings by me starts at £400 for Planning (plus fees to the Council and similar fee for Building Control drawings. Call me for fixed fee quote.


link to Planning Portal